Is this thermostat wired correctly?

Sponsored Links
What was there before - and what are the those wires connected to at the other end?

The most likely scenario for such coloured wires is red line, yellow switched line and blue neutral.
If that is so, the blue wire should NOT be connected to the thermostat, as in the configuration shown, the thermostat will be destroyed.

It could be that the system requires a changeover thermostat and blue is another switched line, making the configuration shown correct. However such an arrangement would be very unusual.

The diagram shows you how it should be. There should not be a connection to C.

Live = A
Switched Live = B
Neutral not required

If you power it up as it's wired in the photo and Red, is connected to Live and Blue is connected to Neutral when it turns on you will have a short circuit and may damage something.

at a guess No
what is it replacing?
I would say the yellow needs moving to B and the blue needs disconnecting and made safe.
you havn't powered this up yet I hope

Matt

edit pipped at the post again :)

Sponsored Links
This is what it was like before.

Unfortunately, I did power it up, and I think I have damaged something. For some reason, I didn't get notification of these replies, and I was rushing to get the job done. Stupid, I know. Anyway, the timer control in the airing cupboard is no longer working. I've disconnected the thermostat.

There's no fusebox next to the timer. The switch next to it is the immersion heater. (The other cable is the security alarm). I'll get in touch with an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back