Islamophobia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The term "Islamophobia" was first introduced as a concept in a 1991 Runnymede Trust Report and defined as "unfounded hostility towards Muslims, and therefore fear or dislike of all or most Muslims." The term was coined in the context of Muslims in the UK in particular and Europe in general, and formulated based on the more common "xenophobia" framework.

The report pointed to prevailing attitudes that incorporate the following beliefs:

• Islam is monolithic and cannot adapt to new realities
  • Islam does not share common values with other major faiths
  • Islam as a religion is inferior to the West.
    It is archaic, barbaric, and irrational.
  • Islam is a religion of violence and supports terrorism.
  • Islam is a violent political ideology.

This is the definition of Islamophobia. Interesting in the twenty five years since it was coined what's developed ?

Sponsored Links
There have always been those who hate people who are different. This is sometimes foreigners/blacks/irish/jews/pakis/gays/communists/non-communists/women/the poor/the rich/protestants/catholics/moslems/hindus/jehovahs witnesses/English/French/slavs/quakers/nuns/Europeans or any other group you can identify and whip up hatred against.

Today's target of choice for modern fascists, is Moslems.

If you denounce the subjugation or stoning of women, the execution of gays, or the instituional rape of boys, that tehnically makes you an Islamophobe in a fair few countries.
qewqwer-meme-generator-islamophobia-to-offend-or-question-islam-in-any-way-cb9287.jpg

Criticising institutional child abuse and slavery made you anti-Catholic in Ireland until recently.

Sponsored Links
I'm offended by the misuse of words.

It is purposely done so that the real meaning and problem is confused.
That is - no one really knows what is meant.

I'm offended by the misuse of words.

It is purposely done so that the real meaning and problem is confused.
That is - no one really knows what is meant.

Bit too cryptic for me what misuse of words are you referring to ?

---phobia means 'irrational fear of' - although 'extreme fear of' seems to have been added to the definition.

It does not mean 'hatred' of anything so if you just hate muslims or if you are genuinely afraid of muslims then it is not a 'phobia'.

Another example is the suffix 'ist' which now means 'for' and also 'against' - as in Islamist (for) and racist (against).
Anti-Semitist is a good one which is someone who against Semitic people who include both Jews and Arabs between which there is very little difference apart from religion.

If you hate Muslims then you could be a Sunni, Shia or a total Sh'ite. They're all at it.

Another example is the suffix 'ist' which now means 'for' and also 'against' - as in Islamist (for) and racist (against)

Another slant on this, which goes some way to addressing this contradiction, is that an Islamist is not a Muslim. They're against others having other views, and kill to support it.
Or another slant still is that an "ist", another example is "Fundamentalist" really is a "for" suffix and so "racist" translates to "for" type word rather than "against". Someone who sees race, creed, colour, culture as a worthy basis of separation/heirachy

Nozzle

Not sure "Someone who sees race, creed, colour, culture as a worthy basis of separation/heirachy" could be said to be for races.

I suppose "ist" words stem from "ism" words whether that "ism" be good or bad, e.g. semitism or racism.
That though leads to the same problem with badly named "ism" words, e.g. sexism.

Not sure "Someone who sees race, creed, colour, culture as a worthy basis of separation/heirachy" could be said to be for races.

This is meant in the context that someone who is "colour blind" (i.e the complete opposite of a racist) doesn't recognise a difference - everyone is the same and is equal with no recognition that race is an attribute that matters. Whereas a racist not only believes in a difference, they also believe their particular flavour of race is better than the other person's flavour.

First Yellow person to first blue person - "hah you suck because you're blue and I'm brilliant because I'm yellow"
Other yellow person to other blue person - "you're a person and I'm a person"

Nozzle

It was you who said that.

Anyway -
This is meant in the context that someone who is "colour blind" (i.e the complete opposite of a racist) doesn't recognise a difference
Ok, fair enough but surely you therefore meant:

"Someone who sees race, creed, colour, culture as aN UNworthy basis of separation/heirachy" could be said to be for races.

Sponsored Links
Back