Iso valve on central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slight weep from a compression joint on an isolation valve on my central heating. The leak I can sort, but is it acceptable to have an Iso valve in a unvented central heating system?

Sponsored Links
Typically an unvented combi has 4 isolation valves supplied by the manufacturer. If a filter is fitted then that is 2 more. Plus 2 on every radiator. There are however several places where fitting an additional one would not be acceptable

At some point someone has t'eed off the flow and return to feed a bathroom towel rail radiator. The system works fine but we recently had a new boiler fitted and the system is running at a slightly higher pressure than before so it's shown up a weak spot.

My concern was whether standard Iso valves were suitable in a central heating system and whether I should replace them while I'm at it. Are they rated for 80 degrees?

Depends who made them & to what standard :

Pegler Yorkshire 15mm Manual Ball Valve

Pressure rating 16 bar at 30°C (cold), 5 bar at 120°C (hot)
If they are leaking, change them. They used to cost loads of money and be really well made but then they had to be fitted everywhere, became cheap and cheerful.
Generally you would find it difficult to buy one that was worse quality than the ones supplied with your boiler

Sponsored Links
Looks like compression joint isn't leaking after all. It's the iso valve itself that is leaking. Obvious fix then!

Thanks for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back