Using iso valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some cartridges to change in a kitchen tap. There is iso valves in the supply. In this situation would you use the iso valves or the old mains stop tap? Iso valves can leak when turned?

Sponsored Links
I have some cartridges to change in a kitchen tap. There is iso valves in the supply. In this situation would you use the iso valves or the old mains stop tap? Iso valves can leak when turned?

When ever I work on a section of my plumbing, I add an isolation valve, for my own working convenience that time, and any subsequent times. Water off at the stop tap, add the valve, then the water can go back on at the SV. They are cheap if bought in bulk, I use full flow versions, and I have never had one leak.

Unless it's one of the cheapo kind, they shouldn't leak.
Simple test: close the valves and open the tap.
If it drips, the valves are leaking.

You would use the ISO's, that's what they're there for. If they leak from the screw head then they'll be cheap rubbish and need replaced for decent items anyway. If so then it's mains isolation and replace them. All part of the job.

Sponsored Links
If they leak when turned sometimes the seal again when turned on and off a couple of time?

If they leak when turned sometimes the seal again when turned on and off a couple of time?
Yep, if they squirt or weep from the screw slot section there is usually a spot on the turn that can be found where they stop, not worth the call back risk though TBH. Take a couple of decent ones with, something I always have them in my box and then just replace them with a couple of decent ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back