Couplings vs Male Irons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

For some reason my bathroom taps have 2 iso valves each. I think because they didn't have any couplings. Basically I have a 2 door/2 drawer unit - one set of iso valves are in one of the door sections so are accessible. The other iso valves are behind the drawers where the flexi tails are, so aren't accessible.

I want to change the inaccessible iso valves (because i need them elsewhere) to couplings/irons.

My flexi tails are female.

Is there any quality difference between shed fittings and somewhere like Plumb Center?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
With a flexi hose for bathroom taps, there's no olive on this end is there; the flexi hose, if female, has the little washer inside, so no olive needed?

What would be best for connecting to female flexi hoses - currently the flexi hoses screw straight onto the iso valve without the nut.

Compression couplers are what you want then discard the nut & olive from one side.

Some people say you shouldn't screw flexi's onto isolation valves or couplings but I've done it in my bathroom and kitchen, not had any leaks.

If that's so, how would you otherwise connect them?

My kitchen tap uses male flexi's, so a nut and olive just hold it on.

The end of a normal flexi just has a rubber washer in it, not an olive. Unless you have something different.

Ideally the connection to female tap connectors should be parallel MI so you get a flat face which doesn't cut the rubber washer.

The problem with using compression fittings is many people will do them up too tight and cut the washer with the chamfered edge, that's what causes leaks (if not immediately then eventually). Using a MI connector with flat surface reduces that risk considerably. As does doing them up only 'hand+a bit' tight.

Ideally the connection to female tap connectors should be parallel MI so you get a flat face which doesn't cut the rubber washer.

The problem with using compression fittings is many people will do them up too tight and cut the washer with the chamfered edge, that's what causes leaks (if not immediately then eventually). Using a MI connector with flat surface reduces that risk considerably. As does doing them up only 'hand+a bit' tight.
All mine were just done up by hand. Funny how after a while in the job you get a "feel" for how tight something needs to be... not quite so easy for the average DIY'er of course.

Cool. Can you get them in elbows? A quick search says no.

What the installer did for the hot feed, as they come in from the right, is put a small bend (about 45) then an iso valve - presumably so the iso valve isn't completely horizontal. Then the flexi on the iso valve.

So I thought about chopping out the little bend, then put a 90 elbow with the flexi hose going into the elbow.

I know I could put a 90 elbow, then some copper, then another of those straight parallel irons, but it's not as neat!

17703.gif

You certainly can! Try looking for compression x BSP male elbow.

BSP is British Standard Pipe, the more official name for male/female iron!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back