Isolation Valve on Central Heating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Thought you might like this one! Just been to call out for a leaking isolation valve, when I got there it turned out that a few years ago someone added a radiator to the sytem and put isolation valves about a foot from the flow and return of each rad :eek:

Why, I ask myself :rolleyes:

Any one have an explanation for this?

Never seen this before and seemed really odd to me.

Sponsored Links
First fix :?:

Plumber probably didn't want to drain down to solder piping to rad. :(

I have seen iso valves on radiator pipes and have no idea either why they do it. personally I think they are good for nothing as most of them seize before the part that they are supposed to service gives up. If anyone knows a brand that does not seize, let me know and earn my eternal gratitude.

I was thinking of adding an isolation valve (in one leg only, not both - to allow for expansion) to my towel radiator because it is also heated by an electric element and I want to stop the heat flowing around the rest of the house in the summer.

Is that a good reason to add one?

Or is the problem of seizing and leaking too great?

Sponsored Links
IMO there's little point in using an iso. valve on a towel rad. If the heating is off, then the pump isn't running, so there's no circulation. The position of the electric heater at the bottom of the rail should confine the thermal convection from it's relatively low output to the towel rail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back