Outside tap and non return & isolation valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an outside tap fitted which incorporates a non return valve. Inside the kitchen is an isolation valve, which leaks when turned off. I need to replace this Leaking isolation valve. Should I fit a combined isolation & non return valve As one fitting or fit a separate valve for each for each purpose?

thanks for your advice

Mutley56

Sponsored Links
You just need to replace the isolation valve you already have a non return valve as you say , you don't need to fit two

A none return valve does reduce the flow a little so only fit one for the outside tap.

Sponsored Links
With the exception of TPK branded outside taps, the ones with integral check valves are not WRAS approved for connection to a mains water supply, so yes you should add a separate double check valve or combined isocheck in line (or get a TPK tap - available exclusively from City Plumbing & Travis Perkins)

but still advisable to have a way to drain the water from the outside tap when sub zero temperatures are likely.

That’s why a drain off is recommended on the inside also, to drain that leg of water.

Thanks all,

I will buy a Peglar combined isolation and check valve from Screwfix and swap out the leaky fitting.

I will Also take the opportunity to replace the tap isolation valves with Peglar full bore valves as they lead into flexi Tap hoses. I presume the screw turn ones are as good and the lever handle ones? Any thoughts on that please?

Thanks again.

Mutley56

Levers are the way to go.
Ballofix (screw turn) are [email protected] eventually leak through the spindle.
The full bore ones are a bit more reliable but levers/mini levers or butterfly valves are best.
You can alway cut the levers down if space to operate them is tight.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back