Non return valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been having a look at my plumbing and I have noticed there are no non-return valves fitted on the water system anywhere in the property

I have an outside tap and washing machine valves, should these have non-return / check valves fitted?

The property was renovated in 2002 should they have been fitted?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Outside tap should have a double check valve on it's supply.
Some have the check valves built in to the tap, so not a separate device in the plumbing pipework. How easy it is to tell the difference is not my expert field.

Some have the check valves built in to the tap, so not a separate device in the plumbing pipework. How easy it is to tell the difference is not my expert field.
These types of outside tap don't comply any more and there should always be separate check valves.

To identify, the tap will have a small nut underneath the tap just in front of the point where it's screwed into the wall elbow and if you look in the spout you will see a white plastic valve.

the tap doesn't have a check valve, all the tap has is a isolating valve

Should I fit a tap with one?

was it common or ok for them to be fitted without a check valve?

Last edited:
It is common but it isn't right. Is it going to kill you, probably not and you aren't going to end up in jail but if for any reason the water and bacteria in that hose gets its way back into your mains water then that's what you and your neighbours could be drinking.

Ultimately it' s your choice

I wasn’t aware that it was needed until the other day. The tap was fitted before I moved in.

Would replacing the tap with one fitted with a double-check valve would be ok?

Also, my bathroom mixer tap does not have any check valves the only check valve on the property is fitted to the combi boiler filling-loop!

What would be the best course of action?

The standard these days is to have a check valve on the incoming mains, that's to protect the external mains. There should still be a check valve on any outlet that may be in danger of becoming contaminated, hence the outside tap requirement.

If the outside tap freezes it will invariably burst the check valve, that's why they aren't approved any more and an inline internal once is specified.

It is common but it isn't right. Is it going to kill you, probably not and you aren't going to end up in jail but if for any reason the water and bacteria in that hose gets its way back into your mains water then that's what you and your neighbours could be drinking.

Ultimately it' s your choice
Why would it have been done incorrectly, save cost, poor workmanship or not required when the installation was done?

I reckon it was done around 2002 or slightly earlier

Possibly by someone who didn't know any better or couldn't be bothered, cost is minimal. It was certainly a requirement 20 years ago but the integrated check valve tap may have been acceptable then but the tap has been replaced since. Who knows TBH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back