Central Heating isolating valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I often find myself needing to periodically 'shut-off' all flow to radiators on the top floor of my house during the daytime (to save money when lodgers are out) but I will often want the CH still flowing on the lower and middle floors. It is a real pain to constantly turn off-and-on the top-floor radiators so I thought some sort of isolating device in the pipe(s) leading to the to top floor would do the trick. The system is open-vented, and the boiler, pump, HW cylinder and controls are on the middle-floor.

What is the best type of isolating valve to use, bearing in mind the flow could be turned on-and-off once daily? I am thinking a wheel-operated gate valve or 'large-lever'-type ball-valve would be best, but you experts out there may have better suggestions.

Also, do I need to insert a valve in the flow and return pipes to the upper floor, or would one in the flow pipe be sufficient? (on the basis that if water cannot flow, it cannot return!)

Many thanks,
Alan

Sponsored Links
Hi Andy - thanks for the reply.

All rads have TRVs fitted, and they are working fine, but what I want to achieve is to shut-off flow to the entire upper-floor at once. This would be much more efficient than having to turn-off each TRV in the morning, then back on again in the evening.

Regards,
Alan

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a quarter turn ball valve with a nice big lever; which in my experience is easier to operate, less likely to get stuck or start leaking and it won't restrict the flow when turned on.

I've found the ones on sale at B&Q to be OK and yes you only need one in either the flow or return path.

Having 2 can sometimes be useful if you want to isolate a section of the system for extended repair work

Just came across this one......

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-ba...ing and Plumbing-_-Pegler Ball Valve Red 22mm

So just find the pipe that supplys the upstairs rads and fit a manual isolation valve.

Why not fit a motorized spring return zone valve operated by a simple on/off switch?.

Having 2 can sometimes be useful if you want to isolate a section of the system for extended repair work

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-ba...ing and Plumbing-_-Pegler Ball Valve Red 22mm
I agree - I periodically have to drain down the system for work and each time wish I could just drain the section needed rathr than whole system.

But if you're going to put in two valves for this reason, make sure you also ad a drain valve. No point isolating a section if you can't drain it down!

I agree - I periodically have to drain down the system for work and each time wish I could just drain the section needed rathr than whole system.

But if you're going to put in two valves for this reason, make sure you also ad a drain valve. No point isolating a section if you can't drain it down!

Yes that sounds sensible. If I was installing my own system now I'd probably have those valves/drains all over the place.

I'd go for a quarter turn ball valve with a nice big lever...

Thanks jackthom - that might be the solution I will go for. It's simplest in terms of giving me overall control of the top-floor, only involves one cut into existing pipework and doesn't involve any electrics.

Regards,
Alan

Thanks to all of you who have replied so far. Looks like I am going for the 'simple' manual lever option for now, since that involves the least work to accomplish my goal.

Sometime in the future I may want the top-floor circuit to be on a timer, so then I might introduce an electric zone-control valve.

Regards,
Alan

Zone whatever floors you want to separate.
This is done with a zone valve and timer/wall thermostat for each zone.

Each zone will call on the boiler for heat when it is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back