Isolation valve replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again folks.

I'd like some advice please if I may?

My Puma 100 combi never had a 'filling loop'. Instead, there is just a single isolation valve in between the mains feed (on the left of the picture) and what I presume is the CH loop (on the right. This is the 22mm pipework that goes under my floor and also runs up in to the flat upstairs). The image should be rotated clockwise for proper orientation.

The screw head on the valve is worn so needs replacing and the system keeps filling up even when the valve appears to be in the off position, and so the prv is letting by.

My landlord asked me if I could replace it myself if he gave me the part, but I advised him I wouldn't be comfortable doing it. So says he's coming round tonight to replace the isolation valve but I'm worried he'll flood the kitchen as he says he plans to do things in this order.

Drain the boiler from the prv.

Shut the mains stopcock.

Drain the bath and sinks taps.

Then remove the isolation valve.

My worry is that removing the isolation valve will cause all of the water from the CH loop to escape. I think this due to believing that draining the boiler via the prv will drain the boiler only and not the CH loop, so the rads will still be full of water.

Am I right or have I got it totally wrong?

Sponsored Links
your landlord is an idiot and your quite right to be worried.
the setup you have at the moment contravenes water regulations, you need to have a double check valve an isolation valve and a braided flexi hose (filling loop) to completely seperatethe heating system from the mains.
At the moment with that isolation valve letting by with that setup it is very possible you are contaminating the mains water supply with dirty heating system water (this is water which you drink).
Seeing as it is a rented property i would report him to your local water board who will issue him with a health warning and to rectify the problem properly or be faced with a heavy fine.
Also not a good idea to drain the boiler from the prv as it will unlikely to seal properly again and you will probably keep loosing pressure causing the boiler to go into lock out.
Hope this helps.

it would only take about 30 mins to cut that crap out and install a proper filling loop

Sponsored Links
Yes but a filling loop is about £10 and an isolation valve is £2 landlords have their pockets to think about regardless of tenants health :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies so far folks. I could tell that the setup didn't appear right when comparing it to a proper filling loop, but didn't realise it was against water regs.

Unfortunately he always treats the prv like a drain valve whenever the system pressure needs lowering, so it too has been letting by a small amount for some time now. :(

So I'll have to try and dissuade him from taking this apart when he comes round tonight then to prevent a flood! I'll also tell him that he needs to get a proper filling loop fitted too.

I'll let you know what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back