1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Issue Replacing Honeywell BDR91 Receiver with Tado Extension Kit

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by StanWardle, 10 Dec 2020.

1. StanWardle

StanWardle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with this.... currently I have a BDR91 attached to a Vaillant EcoTech Plus, I am trying to replace it with a Tado Extension Kit.

The wiring inside of the BDR91 has live and neutral wires, x2. I have attached the neutral and live wire from the left hand side of the picture to the L & N on the Extension Kit backplate. The other two wires I have connected to 1 and 2 on the backplate. Can anyone advise if this is correct? The extension kit appears to be connected to the thermostat remotely, the app suggests all is working ok. But the boiler does not seem to be coming off and on as per instructions sent.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The BDR Box is removed and:

The wire in BDR N goes to Tado Extension Box N
    The wire in BDR L goes to Tado Extension Box L
    The wire in BDR A goes to Tado Extension Box 1 (COM)
    The wire in BDR B goes to Tado Extension Box 4 (NO)

IMPORTANT: Make sure that the Tado Extension Box jumper is in Position 1. (Potential Free) Otherwise you may damage your boiler.

If there is some sort of time control for the central heating somewhere else that you haven't mentioned, that should be set to be permanently 'on' 24/7 Otherwise it will interfere with the Tado.

Edit: The wire colours chosen by the installer do not always reflect their true use. In your case, the blue wire in BDR B for example is definitely not being used as a neutral wire.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. StanWardle

StanWardle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Stem,

Thank you for you excellent advice! I was confused by the wiring colours. I have now followed your instructions and everything is working superbly. Your help is much appreciated, thanks for taking the time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local