It's hot in the kitchen! Glowworm Hideaway 60B fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have a Glowworm Hideaway 60B boiler in a kitchen cupboard. When the hot water or heating comes on it gets so hot that it's seriously heating up the cupboards either side and the work surface above it. Is there anyway I can insulate it to reduce the heat loss and so increase it's efficiency, or is there something wrong with it?! It looks quite old (I've not lived here very long)

I've done a google search but couldn't find any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It an old inefficienct boiler, is there a radiator in the kitchen? Alot of people treat these as an extra radiator.

To insulate the boiler could do more harm than good. There should also be air vents in the cupboard to allow for hot air to escape

I dont know the exact requirements but these old boilers do need a large ventilation area at the bottom and at the top to remove excess heat.

Without the ventilation they are dangerous!

Best to get it checked by a competent boiler engineer.

Tony

Thanks for replying so quickly! There is a radiator in the kitchen and it's vented through the wall outside.

I just rang glowworm and they said it sounds like a seal's gone in the combustion chamber and offered to send an engineer out (for a rather large charge!). Are they just having me on?!

Sponsored Links
Better to get a local independent to assess the situation and the ventilation.

What ventilation do you see?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back