I've replaced a radiator - now nothing's working!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping you can help. I replaced an old radiator today with a new one. Bled the system, fitted the radiator and refilled the system. Switched it on and now none of the radiators are getting warm. I tried bleeding them but there doesn't seem to be any air. The boiler comes on for a couple of minutes and then cuts off again. If I put it to hot water only, everything works like it should, so it must be the system, not the boiler. Can anyone help with any suggestions? :(

Sponsored Links
Do you bleed the pump by opening that valve that sticks up above it?

You're great you are! Can't tell you how good it is to talk to someone about it!!

theirs a silver nut in the centre of the pump, place a large flat screwdriver in slot and twist anticlockwise

Sponsored Links
Do you bleed the pump by opening that valve that sticks up above it?

You're great you are! Can't tell you how good it is to talk to someone about it!!

If the H/W is working, but not heating, your'e looking for an air lock on the heating side. - Check if there are any more vents on the pipe from the 3-way valve (if it has one). If so, open them to let the air out, then run it again. You might have to repeat this a few times, as the pump might drag air through again when it starts.

If there is a valve sticking up above the pump, that sounds like an air vent, but be careful you dont open it too much, just till you hear the air coming out.

It's working now! Better than it did before!!! Thank you to all my heros for your help. Great to be warm again. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back