ivy removal from wall - how to romove final bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the ivy was cut and pulled off a brick and mortar wall. There are lots of tiny pieces (slithers) of dead ivy still hanging on. What is a proven way of removal - do you think a jet wash would remove? Thank you

Sponsored Links
jamiller said:
the ivy was cut and pulled off a brick and mortar wall. There are lots of tiny pieces (slithers) of dead ivy still hanging on. What is a proven way of removal - do you think a jet wash would remove? Thank you

Blowtorch - as long as there is no risk of burning down your (or anyone else's) property!

wire brush, scraper and elbow grease (or the flamethrower option!)

Thats exactly what I did :D ............but take it out from the roots. as to my horror it has grown back again this year.... :(

Sponsored Links
I have never tried this, but have been told by a few people it does work.

Apparently you pour diesel into the roots/soil, and it will kill the roots off, maybe someone else has heard this, but I will be trying it out in a few weeks, cause my neighbours IVY is taking over my whole fence, and its poking through my slats, and they wont do a thing about it.

spice said:
pour diesel into the roots/soil, and it will kill the roots off
Yes, it does work and it is the way to kill something without people noticing much!
But it does smell a bit and can hang around until it washes away.

its also criminal damage if its your neighbours plant so be careful!

Use SBK or another brushwood killer and apply it to the regrowth whenever you see a green leaf.

Due to the waxiness of ivy you can mix it up with a little paraffin (instructions are on the pack).

spice said:
I have never tried this, but have been told by a few people it does work.

Apparently you pour diesel into the roots/soil, and it will kill the roots off, maybe someone else has heard this, but I will be trying it out in a few weeks, cause my neighbours IVY is taking over my whole fence, and its poking through my slats, and they wont do a thing about it.
Do you know how much diesel costs!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back