Jaguar boiler driving me potty (pressure loss)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've had a Jaguar 23K boiler for 3.5 years (came with my flat). For the first two years it was trouble free, more recently had some trouble with heat exchangers and clogging (on both domestic water and heating side) which I've had put right by BG with no problem.

Today in fact I had BG round and they installed a MagnaClean device. I know that opinions vary on the effectiveness of these things but all I know is that they'll cover any more heat exchanger problems now this thing is in, and that'll do me.

For the last 8 weeks or so the system pressure has been regularly dropping (between every 3 - 6 days), resulting in the infamous 'F0' lack of system pressure error. Now today I had a really sound BG engineer round to fit the MagnaClean part + new heat exchanger and I told him about the pressure problem. He checked the expansion vessel and noticed it was low, so he pumped it up. Since he went the pressure has fallen off twice though :eek:. I'm pretty sure the system is not leaking (I'm in a top floor conversion flat with wooden floors, and I'm sure I'd have heard from one of my downstairs neighbours for one thing), there's no air in the rads, and apparently no water coming out of the overflow, which is almost always dry.

So what's happening? A quick tweak of the refill valve is normally all it takes to bump the pressure back to 1.5 bar and all is fine again for another little while, but as of today it's got worse and I suspect I'm going to wake up freezing in the morning...

Sponsored Links
Id put money on it being the pressure relief valve passing. At least one of those engineers will have dumped the boiler pressure via this method.

I hate to think what you have paid for all this BG work.

Its rather unusual to get BG to fix a jaguar. They usually just say its not worth repairing and needs changing.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

I have read that here a lot, though I must say in fairness to BG that doesn't bear out my overall experience with them. Only once have I had someone who has said that the boilers were 'trouble' (the same bloke was also petrified of our two siamese cats which were shut away behind a door!); the last engineer was of the belief that the Jaguar was a decent enough unit though and I was quite impressed by him actually.

Fortunately I was covered for most of the BG work :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back