Jammed/Broken Chubb Mortice Window Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit stuck! (Literally)

I have a window which has a Chubb 8001 Mortice lock, (uses a chubb star type key) but I cant seem to be able to unlock it. The key goes in, and sort of engages, and turns, but doesnt appear to do anything.

The hinges are encased within the window recess, so I cannot access them, and the lock is also within the frame.

I have sprayed in some WD40 to see if that will loosen it up, but is there any way I can get it out, without destroying the wooden window frame?

Can anyone offer any suggestions on this. I cannot afford a locksmith!

I really need some help on this!

Many thanks x

Sponsored Links
Try taking some pressure off the bolt, by pushing/pulling the frame, whilst turning the key. Could just be a tight fit. Otherwise, you'll have to manually retract the bolt by levering it back through a gap in the frame or a drilled hole in the frame.

Sounds like the rack-bolt has snapped (like they do) you may be able to get at the broken end through the keyway with a small screwdriver to work the bolt back or as said above you can work them back through the gap between the window and frame with paint scraper or putty knife

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back