Jammed uPVC window: any DIY fixes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The small casement window at the top of my uPVC window is jammed. Turning the handle has no effect.

The Window Doctor didn't turn up yesterday.
Any tips on how I can unjam the window?

Sponsored Links
Take the handle off and see if the spindle has fallen out. If the handle is ok you will need a new espag which is a bit more tricky

As God says, take handle off and first make sure the spindle hasn't slid out of the back of the handle, this would just cause the handle to spin, if thats ok then it looks like you'll need a new espag.

If you have an identical window, fitted at the same time as your broken one then just take your measurements of that espag and order online, you'll also get an idea which way all the mushrooms slide, this will help you when trying to open your jammed one, sometimes you can use one of those flexible steel spatulars from out your kitchen draw, slide it in and then push or pull it sideways, if the opener has shootbolts in each corner then you'll need to remove the glass, this will help when levering the opener about to disengage them without fear of breaking the glass.

Can be hard but some can be a doddle to open

How do I remove the glass?

(It might be best if I wait until next Spring to do this! Just in case, I can't get it back in!)

Sponsored Links
As God says, take handle off and first make sure the spindle hasn't slid out of the back of the handle, this would just cause the handle to spin, if thats ok then it looks like you'll need a new espag.

The spindle is still attached securely to the handle.
The internal mechanism looks like it's "floating". It's not secure at all. Maybe it's designed like that?
I tried shoving the spindle in and rotating the nut. But no luck.

There are 2 mushrooms on the bottom of the window.

When you took the handle off did you notice the square hole in the mechanism that the spindle fits into, sometimes the square insert shatters and falls out leaving a round hole so the spindle will no longer operate the mechanism.

As for the "floating" bit, well im sure there might be some that float and only held in place with the handle but of the top of my head im struggling, can you take some photos and post them up on here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back