Japanese knotweed / Should I use Glycophosphate neat ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got knotweed growing over the back from council land.

I have informed them, and they are on a treatment program,which from the looks of it is injecting the stems with what I guess is Glycophosphate.

Anyway they are doing it twice a year and I want to accelerate it's demise.

I've got a syringe and cut a few overhanging stems, hollowed them our and injected some diluted Glycophosphate and I plan to do this every few days as it's a good time of year to treat it.

My question is can I just use Glycophosphate neat? or would that not be as effectivly absorbed

Sponsored Links
Spring isn't the best time of year to apply herbicide to JK. If the knotweed is all on the adjoining land, you shouldn't be doing anything to it and interfering with the treatment programme being conducted by people who know what they're doing isn't sensible. If you're handling cut sections of knotweed, you're risking contaminating your own land. And the only thing that applying herbicide 'every few days' will do is lighten your wallet.

ok thanks, You have a valid point! I only realised what it was last September and reported it, I'm just so frustrated that for the last 7 years I've not been able to grow anything towards the end of the garden because of all the roots - My land is already contaminated - I've seen the roots and how far they extend when I returfed last year (I know about burning any cuttings)

Is the council aware that the roots/rhizomes extend into your land? I'd be pushing them to excavate and replace the soil once the infestation has been dealt with. Are your insurers aware?

Sponsored Links
When I reported it I did tell them the roots were in the garden at the back 2m of the garden (8m from the house). They said about treating it and nothing about the contaminated soil.

There is a stream behind the gardens and luckily it's stayed there - must have no desire to extend where there is less water! I say "it", there are 3 up behind my boundary, and several others behind other houses and I made the council aware of them.

My faith in the council is lacking as one of them which was cut down after I reported it is still in a pile in the park 6 months later (behind the houses). Also when groundsman cut everything back a few years ago along the stream, they threw everything all together and disposed of it so don't even know what it looks like.

I've not thought of the insurance - will look into that

I have a new neighbour as of yesterday, I'll mention it to them - they'l be happy! I guess they are not aware and their surveyor didn't notice it either.

The presence of the stream is even more of a reason not to try DIY herbicides. There are regulations on the type which can be used and agreement from the DoE is required.

From your description, the council isn't handling the knotweed correctly if they're leaving it lying after cutting, and especially near a stream - small fragments can be carried in the water and establish elsewhere.

You have a legal nuisance on your land so best to hand over to your insurers.

If your previous neighbour knew about the knotweed and didn't declare it on the SPIF, that's a whole different can of worms for your new neighbour.

As ceres says definetly don't mess about with it if proper treatment is underway. You'll just prolong the agony and damage the environment.

Normal glyphosate will only push mature plants into dormancy making them impossible to kill for another year or two.

I feel for you but the fact that the ball is rolling means the most difficult bit (convincing the council to spend money) is done so just be patient its a couple of year scheme to properly irradicate it.

Thanks - I see permission is required from DoE for treatment near water courses. I had Rosate 36 not DIY stuff, but I'll leave it to the council and chase them up, grit my teeth and be patiant!

The previous neighbour (elderly chap) his son just laughed everytime I spoke of the knotweed, I doubt it was declared it, it would have knocked 10/20k off the house. They have a huge one growing over the back of their garden, but as you say - can of worms, I can't see any advantage of me bringing it up with the new neighbours and being dragged into anything

Thanks - I see permission is required from DoE for treatment near water courses. I had Rosate 36 not DIY stuff, but I'll leave it to the council and chase them up, grit my teeth and be patiant!

The previous neighbour (elderly chap) his son just laughed everytime I spoke of the knotweed, I doubt it was declared it, it would have knocked 10/20k off the house. They have a huge one growing over the back of their garden, but as you say - can of worms, I can't see any advantage of me bringing it up with the new neighbours and being dragged into anything

Rosate 36 is a professional use product, so strictly speaking you shouldn't be using it at all. It's certainly DIY if you're using it without the appropriate training or understanding of the relevant legislation.

I feel for you and your new neighbours. Good luck getting it sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back