Japanese Knotweed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it really possible to get rid of this plant or are we talking only long term control?

I have 6 acres of garden / woodland and in each area there is at least one major infestation of this weed. I have only just bought the house and at this time of year it is clearly visible, although I didn't know what it was before we completed.

My main priority is to keep it away from the house but ideally I would like to eradicate it all. Over such a widespread area though will this be possible?

To start off I am working with a gardener to strim all of the surrounding areas so I can effectively 'cordon off' the affected areas. This should at least allow me to mow between the clumps for now. Next we will be cutting the canes down (many of them over 6 feet) and treating the stumps with Glyphosate.

We will then need to monitor for regrowth and keep treating the area as it attempts to grow back. Eventually I hope to kill it all off but I suspect I will only ever be able to control its growth.

Thoughts anyone?

D

Sponsored Links
I have only just bought the house and at this time of year it is clearly visible, although I didn't know what it was before we completed.

D

You have my sympathy. I believe it can be got rid of but you have to be diligent in dealing with it and scrupulous about hygiene.

Was the infestation not declared by the seller? There is a specific question in the TA6 about it. If they did not declare it, you may be able to claim the costs of eradication from them. You should speak to the solicitor that did your conveyancing.

Very surprised it wasn't made known to you before you bought the property. A lot of mortgage companies wont even entertain a mortgage if knotweed is present. I'm sure it has to be declared?

It is possible to get rid, but its very difficult to do, this plant grows through concrete and even plays dead when you try to kill it!!

Would be best to get some experts in to have a look, if you have patches of it every where, you have a big battle on your hands

Sponsored Links
definatley speak to your solicitor about it.

Be careful treating with glypohsate as it can simply send it into dormancy which means you can't kill it for a further year.

Clearing around it is a good idea but its important not to be too tight around it as mowing or strimming and small shoots will only spread it.

You might be best to bite the bullet and buy the appropriate chemical such as tordon 22

My advice would be to speak to one of the large pesticide suppliers for some advice. Progreen, amentiy, pitchcare etc

It was made known but only reference was to a patch of it in the woodland. It is well away from the house which is one good thing!! It will have been there for a very long time and thankfully it hasn't completely dominated!!

We don't plan to do much with the garden over the next couple of years so we have some time. I understand that it can take 3 or 4 seasons to eradicate?

Will tordon 22 kill it quicker?

Thanks

D

As far as i understand it will have a much higher kill rate. Progreen or some of the others i listed should be able to give you very good advice.

As above, Google Progreen. They supplied the appropriate chemical to combat mares tail and it killed it dead in 4 days and it hasn't come back. They have suitable stuff for knotweed and, from what I read, it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back