Japanese maple trees next to the house buidling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These Japanese maple trees were about a foot high when planted about 10 year ago when we moved into this old house. About 3-4 trees were planted, and they have grown up so much now, they are about 12 ft tall, and spread wide around the house. I did some pruning on them because they look quite nice.
But recently I am a bit worried on the possibility that their roots might grow too much also under the ground, and cause some damage to the house foundation.
Is this reasonable worry? Can Japanese maple trees next to the house buidling affect the house foundation, and cause the house cracks or some other structural problems?

Having said that I have seen old Japanese houses in Japan with these maple trees next to the properties looking very scenic. What would be your opinions and recommendations on this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
regular pruning to keep the shape right and to keep them from getting too big will help. depends how close they are. we have a japanese maple that is well over 25 years old, it was quite big when we moved in 20 years ago and the trunk is about 8 or 9 inches at the base

Ours were around 5-6 inches at the base, and 3 of them were just next to the window of the downstairs room blocking the window views to the outside. I got a prunning saw out, and took them down. It was not too hard work taking them down, but need to clear them from the garden, and will be some work clearing.

We have another 2 of them about 8ft away from the house wall, and there is a slabed path between the trees and the house wall, so they should be OK I felt, and left them. They are getting about 12ft height, getting too tall, so need to get the ladder out, and prune the top trying discourage getting taller.

Sponsored Links
In the link it says they very rarely cause trouble...

The Japanese maple is another excellent choice for planting closer to your home. It is native to Japan, Korea, and China but has become a popular garden tree in the United States. Its root system is very compact and non-invasive. With proper pruning and trimming, this tree stays very small. It is the least likely of all maple trees to cause foundation damage, and it is the best choice for planting close to any building.

...why worry?

I wanted to leave the trees next to the window, but wife says she would prefer the trees down for more sun lights, so 3 trees were cut down. When the trees were cut down, could see loads of snails sticking to the window frames hiding behind the trees - so they are cleared as well. We still have 2 tall acer trees in the front garden, and they should suffice.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back