Jettied 1st floor with bowing joists. Any ideas?

S

squeaky1985

I'm struggling to find anything on the forum (or the entire internet!) about how to solve this problem so I'd really appreciate some help.

Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 19.48.11.jpg

Our house has two jettied sections on the front of the house (see the picture below of left side of house) and over time the section of the joists which overhangs the front of the house has bowed / sagged.

Inside the floorboards slope downwards by about 10mm from the start of the jettied section, so the slope is quite obvious.

Structural engineers confirmed everything was OK when we bought the house but I'd like to know how I should level the floor out.

Should I:

A) Screw battens to the joists and then screw the floorboards to these, raising the boards as required
B) Install some kind of height raisers on top of the joists (e.g. wood blocks) to raise the floorboards
C) Do something else (that I don't know about!)
D) Leave the bow in the floor - it's the character of an old house!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Its probably down to timber shrinkages over the years, I suggest you lift the floor boards and pack the
joists if you want to level the floor.

Its probably down to timber shrinkages over the years, I suggest you lift the floor boards and pack the
joists if you want to level the floor.

Thanks Catlad. So by this do you mean my 'B' option? Putting something on top of the joists and relaying the floorboards.

you haven't increased the load, for example with weight in the loft?

Sponsored Links
That's normal - timber under long-term load is subject to 'creep', aka long-term deformation.
Not a structural problem - just pack up with tapered battens and re-lay boarding.

you'd be better off with Firring pieces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back