jg speedfit plastic fittings - what's needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I'm looking at replacing the old pipework to the radiator circuit and fit some new rads at the same time. I want to keep the existing copper pipework in the airing cupboard, so in essanace I want to connect to the 22mm copper feed and return pipes and connect the new pipework to them in that location.

Although I'm fairly good at using copper fittings and a blow tourch, I don't feel confident enough to do the complete project in copper for two reasons.
1) - Its hard to fix a leak, and one is bound to happen !
2) - using a blow touch in confind spaces under floorboards is a job for the experts.

I've therefore looked at the plastic pipework that is now available from screwfix, but its so confusing as to what fitments I need. I was planninng on using the coiled stuff under floors, but using the stiff lengths when I need to run pipes in exposed areas. Can anyone suggest what bits I need to connect rad valves to the pipes, elbo bends etc. There seem to be some inserts, and then it claims to connect directly over copper pipe ! :confused:

TIA

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
You don't need inserts on copper pipe.

Don't use plastic pipe where you can see it.

Buy yourself a heat mat and use your blow torch with care.

Dave, once again, thanks for the tip.

I like this site, after you post it suggests several other threads of similar subject :rolleyes:

I have a heat mat so I'll take your advice and run it all in copper. At the moment the boiler is in the downstairs loo, and all the pipework from it to the airing cupboard upstairs is run in 22mm (inc all the pipework to and from the valves and pump. The first rad spurs off the 22mm pipe after about 5 feet, but the rest seems to be in 15mm copper. It its worth running all the underfloor pipework in 22mm, then dropping down to 15mm for the 6" or so up to the rads, and when I need to run visible pipwork down to the downstais rads ?

I was also thinking about using thermostatic rad valves, especially for the upstairs rads (bedrooms and bathroom) - would this be a good idea ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back