Reusing JG Speedfit Fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my kitchen tap. The plumbing under the sink is all copper pipe with JG Speedfit fittings. I need to alter the pipework for the new tap.

My only experience of pushfit is with Polyplumb which I know shouldn't be re-used - ignoring the fact half the components come out with the pipe I've been recommended in the past not to try reassembling them regardless as they will have a tendency to leak.

My question is can JG fittings be re-used or should these also be thrown away and replaced once I've removed the existing pipe?

Sponsored Links
How old are they?
The O rings have limited life and once disturbed have a higher chance of leakage.
The grab ring teeth are likely to be partially full of copper...only you can assess whether they are likely to bite into the new pipe.
For the cost why take a chance.

I believe they're 4-5 years old.

I'm not bothered about the cost of the fittings - in fact I think I've got some Polyplumb fittings left over from the last job I did so probably don't need to buy anything if they need to be replaced anyway.

If I remove the fittings completely, do I need to cut the end off the copper pipe where the grab ring has sat, to give the new fitting a tighter fit, or can I simply push a new fitting onto the end of the pipe as it is?

no just remove the old grab ring and other parts and push the new fitting on the copper pipe

Sponsored Links
I have re-used JG Speedfit fittings but, as previously said, it's a judgement based on the age of the fitting and the condition of the pipe to which it has been fitted. I think that, along with many others, I would prefer to use new on a customer's job (imagine the knock to my reputation if the old fitting failed/dripped and it was revealed I'd used an old fitting to save a couple of pounds), but accept that sometimes needs must (late night jobs with no suppliers open and no new ones on the van, etc.). If re-using then inspect the o-ring carefully for nicks and flatspots, lubricate with silicone grease only, and give the old copper a shine-up with wire wool to reduce the risk of damaging the o-ring on re-assembly.

Generally I prefer to use soldered fittings, but admit that pushfits have their uses. I often use the push-fit stop-ends as a convenient temporary seal, and find them very useful in that context.

Yup, recycle them all the time. Just give them the once over, split them and give it all a good clean, if the seal's in good condition then a little silicone grease and re-assemble.

Hence, i would presume, why they are demountable.

“All copper pipe with JG Speedfit fittings” ?
Then bin all the push fit fittings and go soldered copper fittings or/and brass compression fittings.
Cheaper and permanent and reliable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back