Joe Public

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a small hamlet and have become whats known as the local dogsbody. One thing I have noticed is that many people do not give a damn about part P or RCDs. There sole interest is that the light comes on when they press the switch and they may have a "tripswitchthingy" for the mower. The first indication of any problem is a severe electric shock or the house burns down. I have even seen the main Wylex rewireable CU under the sink!!. I have advised at least 2 people in the hamlet that they should call an electrician and get a rewire to modern standards but the reply is allways "Why, its working OK". Surely, before ensuring competent DIY sparks do the job right we should start a program of educating home owners to the dangers of outdated systems.

Sponsored Links
I have even seen the main Wylex rewireable CU under the sink!!.
Someone here posted a photo of one once - there was a hole cut in the side/back of the cabinet to allow access to it... :confused:

I have advised at least 2 people in the hamlet that they should call an electrician and get a rewire to modern standards but the reply is allways "Why, its working OK".
Ask them if they drive without wearing a seat-belt and only plan to put it on when they see that they are about to have an accident...

Surely, before ensuring competent DIY sparks do the job right we should start a program of educating home owners to the dangers of outdated systems.
Off you go. Is there a village hall you could use?

I have even seen the main Wylex rewireable CU under the sink!!..

That doesn't surprise me, was it a Bryant built house by any chance? Along with my loft find this week I discovered that there were two sockets (one for w/machine and the other for the fridge) under the utility sink right next to the washing machine feedlines! Not only that but they were stuck with gripfill to the cabinet plywood backwall! Have since temporarily moved them to either side of the cabinet and higher up the side walls but will move them to a better spot when I can. Must have had the John Wayne of the professional contractors they use. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back