Johnstones magnolia paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has been asked by his decorator to buy the paint for his rented house ready for the decorator to use.

The decorator has asked for johnstones magnolia matt emulsion. Is this paint the same as that on offer at ScrewFix for £15 called leyland magnolia Matt emulsion?

The decorator has asked for it as the house has previously been painted by him.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your friend is the Customer and the Decorator is asking them to buy the paint, what they buy is now up to them, The decorator is just putting the paint on.

they can ask him why he recommends a certain brand and then decide for themselves regarding the cost,

All paints can differ slightly in shade, brand to brand,or when the batch was manufactured.

Could someone else offer some advice in this please.

The main thing I'm asking is the difference between johnstones paint and leyland paint as I have a feeling they are made by the same company?

I don't need to know who's responsible or not for buying the paint and putting it on.

Thanks.

Most paint brands have their premium brand and there bog standard brand. Leyland is Johnstones standard brand, the fact that the two paints are made by the same company has no bearing on the quality of the product, each is designed for a specific budget within the industry.

Your decorator has asked for it because he trusts it to cover and leave a satisfactory finish. He knows the brand and trusts it and is used to working with it. He also knows that the amount of time he spends applying it is consistent to his quote i.e. he knows it will cover in two coats unlike when know all customers supply inferior paint which needs four, five or more. He's the pro, he doesn't just whack paint on, he considers the best coating for the application to suit his clients needs and his time efficiency. If your friend buys the cheaper option he is very likely to find his dec asking for more money for having to apply more coats which will be far more than the few extra pounds per litre on the paint. Unfortunately too many people know the cost of everything and the price of nothing.

Sponsored Links
It would have been more sensible for the Decorator to give an "All In " quote using the Materials he feels best with,

Why is he asking for the Customer to pay for all the Materials up front, has he a problem with his supplier ??

Tradesmen will ask for a percentage of the Job up front to cover materials, most customers are happy with that, but asking them to purchase the materials before the job has started is unusual IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back