Joiner or Double Glazing Company or Wickes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am looking to replace all windows (6 of them), one balcony door and a front door of a flat I am doing up. Looking for all uPVC double-glazing (maybe wooden main door). Cost is an important factor (as is a job well done). I've had some trade quotes from various double-glazing companies, the lowest ones coming in at £2400 all inc (top ones £3700 :eek: ...).

Someone told me it would be much cheaper to just get a local joiner to fit the windows. Is that so? Can I just buy some double-glazed windows at Wickes and have a joiner fit them?

Thanks for any help, ideas. :)

Sponsored Links
Don’t like to dampen your enthusiasm but replacing complete windows now comes under building control. You have 2 choices; submit the details to your local council who will inspect what your doing/done (cost involved) & issue you with a completion certificate or use a FENSA registered company & you don’t have to get building control involved, you will then get the necessary registration from FENSA. I am in the midst of much renovation work & finding that modern legislation in some areas is getting a real pain but if you don’t comply you wont get the necessary bits of paper & you may have difficulty when you come to sell the place.

Don’t know your location but some of the large DG companies quote ridiculous prices. I did a lot of investigation & looked at all the main manufacturers (not many companies make their own windows these days). I was going to DIY but at £50 per window & £70 per door to install charge by a small local company, it hardly seemed worth the hassle. My new windows (Rehau) went in last autumn & costs were £200 - £320 per window depending on size & £850 for per set of French doors; although I didn’t use the cheapest company, but based on this your lowest quote of £2400 looks near the mark. My costs were fully installed & building made good, 10yr independent warranty & FENSA registered but make sure you go for well made windows & look at an example of the companies work first.

All that admin and building control sound like a real pain indeed! But thanks for the cautious note, I'll call my local council tomorrow morning first thing.

One of the DG companies also lauded the Rehau windows, which is apparently what they use. Can you recommend that?

decobee said:
One of the DG companies also lauded the Rehau windows, which is apparently what they use. Can you recommend that?

Rehau are at the top end of the mid range window market & are a very well made product, I am very satisfied with them.

When getting quotes, ensure your comparing like with like; ask for 70mm frames with 28mm glazing units (20mm air gap), trickle vents & fire escape windows where required & the glass must be Pilkington ‘K’ low “e” (or equivalent) - this is required by the latest building regs. You must also use toughened glass for doors and any adjacent screens below 1500mm from FFL & all windows with a cill height below 800mm from FFL.

Sponsored Links
I am building an extension, with full planning permission etc, can I fit my own upvc windows or do the new regs cover that too?

The two I need to replace on the existing house will almost certainly need fitting by a registered company as you have suggested, so probably makes sense to get them all done together?

Good thread!!
:D

Richard C - Thanks for the invaluable information. Still struggling to get all of that in written quotes. It really is a cowboy industry. They expect you to pay a deposit upfront, don't provide any written agreements, are extremely cagey about detailing any work to be done in written. hmmmm...

decobee said:
Richard C - Thanks for the invaluable information. Still struggling to get all of that in written quotes. It really is a cowboy industry. They expect you to pay a deposit upfront, don't provide any written agreements, are extremely cagey about detailing any work to be done in written. hmmmm...

A reputable glazing company won't hesitate to give you whatever technical info you need and personally I'd think twice before paying any monies up front.

Sounds to me like you've had some shady saleman round?
First off, look in the Yellow Pages for small private companies. A small private company is less likely to have some rep sitting in your living room for 5 hours at a time. Sales reps dont know anything about the products they sell. They just want you to sign the finance agreement. ;)

Avoid them like the plague!!!

If they won’t put it in writing don’t bother with them, remember you’re the customer & double glazing companies are two a penny, you just have to find a good one. I agree with Glassman, the smaller companies are more accommodating & tend to give the better service as well as being cheaper, sometimes for exactly the same product! Negotiate if your having a lot of work done, they usually expect it. Pay as little as possible up front; most want 20% but I always fight to reduce this to 10%. Ideally use a company that will provide an independent guarantee that will refund your deposit if they go bust or run off with your money. Use a company that gives an independent 10 year warranty as well as FENSA registration & check they actually are actually FENSA registered & not telling porkies or been struck off. Always get a written contract which lays down exactly when, what & where they are going to do (start date, duration, remove, dispose, fit & make good etc.) & read the small print thoroughly. With current legislation virtually banning the use of ladders & scaffold towers, make sure their quote includes the cost of any scaffold hire, some conveniently leave this off & then point to the small print when presenting their final invoice for around 400 hundred quid extra. Don’t pay the balance until all of the remedial works are completed to your satisfaction. Make sure you get your FENSA certificate (should be around 6 weeks after completion) & that it includes every window & door; some work – porches & conservatories is excluded from FENSA as they are generally exempt from building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back