joining an old wall to a new wall....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strange one this, the upstairs of my house is about 200 years old. I've a few issues that i'm sorting out fixing old movement cracks in the lower cob walls of the first floor and rotten lintels that have caused some bulging in the middle of the wall. We're casting a lintel in situ and joining it to the outer brick arch of the window and the first floor joists so it should never move again.

As the lower is 800mm thick, the top is 9 inch brick, I've spare 'wall to play with'. To help stop any future movement and give strength to the upper my builder has suggested building an inner wall of thermalite blocks(on their side) so 9inch also next to the old wall(first floor). As we go fill any gaps with a runny lime mortar mix and fit a few hundred helifix type things.

We've come up with this plan between us. Does it seem to make sense? anyone done similar?

Sponsored Links
Using a new wall to fix an unstable existing wall is nothing unusual. However, you are building up off the old existing wall below, correct?

Using a new wall to fix an unstable existing wall is nothing unusual. However, you are building up off the old existing wall below, correct?

Yes, the wall below is a 700mm ish thick cob wall, where currently the upstairs is 9inch brick on the outside edge so there's plenty of strong wall below for it to sit on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back