Joining decking boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been given about 20 sq metres of decent quality decking.

The only problem is that because it's used, the planks are already cut to a different size - I've tried to work on the assumption that every length needs to be rounded down to the nearest multiple of 400mm (the joist spacing).

I'm then thinking of laying the deck so the joins are continuosly staggered (like brickwork).

So for example if on row 1 the join is at 2400mm, on row 2 it will be at 2000mm, on row 3 at 1600mm etc

This raises two issues:
1) Because the joins will be all over the place, I either have to double up every joist (which I'd rather not do), or attach short cut-offs to the joist, everywhere a join will occur, so that each board has a whole 2" width to be screwed into.

2) Concerned the joins are going to be ugly. I did see a picture somewhere where they'd rounded off the board ends at each join, so almost make a decorative feature out of the join.

Any thoughts/tips on thess plans??

Sponsored Links
have you thought about 380-390 centres then you have wiggle room

not sure why you are doubling up just cut half and half on the joist and angle screws

Sponsored Links
It'll mean the screws are going into the boards 0.5" from the end, instead of 1" from the end - far more chance of the boards splitting.

still do it an inch away but angle about 10-15 % towards the centre and to the left perhaps 5% to reduce the clash off screws
in other words the screw heads line up perfectly but slightly angled to reach the centre but slightly off set to miss the path off the screw on the other board end

Last edited:
No thanks - it will look messier on top, and it will take 10x longer to do the job as every screw would need to be precisely located, and even then, I'd almost inevitably end up with several splits.

what centres are the screw holes at if they are all 400mm your fine
if they are at all random then your stuck with a complicated puzzle to try and find a plank with matching spacings to avoid extra screw hole

Huh?

If you mean the existing holes in the decking? It's double sided and I'll be using the opposite side to before, so the existing holes are neat and tiny - I plan to go around with wood filler after putting it down, and then stain it.

filler doesnt take stain well might be worth experimenting in case you wont be happy with the finish

I'd be inclined to screw roofing battens to the sides of all the joists - set flush or a mm or so lower than the joists - you can then fix down into the battens, but the joists will take the weight. Then you know you can put your joints half way across the joists wherever you like.

filler doesnt take stain well might be worth experimenting in case you wont be happy with the finish

Aye - I had good results with my shed, but that was with a Timbercare product which is more like a paint than a stain. Not sure yet how to finish the decking off, although you can get stainable wood fillers these days - I've never used them, but this will be a time to experiment I think.

I'd be inclined to screw roofing battens to the sides of all the joists - set flush or a mm or so lower than the joists - you can then fix down into the battens, but the joists will take the weight. Then you know you can put your joints half way across the joists wherever you like.

That's a great idea thanks.

what thickness is the board ??
you usually go for 2.5 times the board thickness for length off screw so 2x1" tile baton will be a bit small for say 43mm boards but ok for say 27mm board
off cuts off decking board can also be used

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back