Joining joist question

Sponsored Links
@op; however you fix the new joists, don't fix the tops level with the top of the steel beam - set them slightly above. They will shrink and cause a hump where the steel is if you don't.

So the reason I thought it wasn’t possible is because I tried before with crap bits and the literally just shrank before my eyes into nothing without leaving so much as a scratch. Cue quality bits and they went through it making a test hole like a hot knife through butter. So this is now a possibility; saving me around 6’ head height. Just need to ok it with BC as it’s not in the plan. The web is 175 and the joists are 200 so will need new timbers for it. Am guessing 600mm spacing m12 bolts would suffice?

The joists dont need to be the size of the web, if bigger just cut notches,

As Tony says always best to be higher than steel where a floor going above

@op; however you fix the new joists, don't fix the tops level with the top of the steel beam - set them slightly above. They will shrink and cause a hump where the steel is if you don't.

Good point; I will be setting them around 50mm higher anyway as there are m16 bolt heads on top of the beam where filch plates join 2 beams together anyhow

Sponsored Links
M10 would be fine - as long as the timber is seated firmly on the bottom flange.

Thanks all. Spoke to BC who said fine no problem. M10 it is. That’s bought me a good bit of extra head height! Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back