joining two timber worktops, best sealant choice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title, I have two pale timber worktops to join, they have arrived with the routed out holes underneath for bolting together. I have now sealed them,but wondering what the best sealant I should use? I know that silicone is difficult to wipe off properly, but it does do waterproof pretty well.
Is there a better choice for me? It is a single 650 mm edge with three bolts to fit.

Sponsored Links
This is what you need....

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks, now to work out which one is going to be the best match. I suspect I need to find a shop that stocks them to see in real life what the actual colour is. I have some leeway due to the natural variation in the maple, but some will be just wrong.

Sponsored Links
Clear silicone. You should not actually see any sealant one the joint is made and tightened.

You only need a thin even coating, as you don't want to prevent the joint from being pulled close together, so there should not be excessive over spill. Cut excess off with a sharp blade.

+1 for Colorfill.

If you end up with any spilling onto the surface, you can use acetone to wipe away the excess.

Personally, I would only use clear silicone for wooden worktop joins. Colorfill is thinner than silicone and will leave less of a "glue" line, that said, it is not like silicone will leave large "glue" line. Silicone will possibly be cheaper though.

Any excess silicone can be cleaned up with "decorators' wipes".

What you actually need is a product called Bush Board Complete it is an adhesive and sealant in one go.

Colorfil has a working time of about 10 minutes max and that is from when the tube is pierced, where as BB Complete has a working time of 30 minutes max and is far superior to Colorfil.

Clear CT1.

As much as I like CT1, it will leave a very thick "glue" line.

What you actually need is a product called Bush Board Complete it is an adhesive and sealant in one go.

Colorfil has a working time of about 10 minutes max and that is from when the tube is pierced, where as BB Complete has a working time of 30 minutes max and is far superior to Colorfil.

Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out the next time I do kitchen worktops (which, to be honest, isn't very often).

@opps

Best guy I ever seen with worktops used clear silicone ever time.
I just think that will eventually degraded maybe Vs CT1 or similar.

@opps

Best guy I ever seen with worktops used clear silicone ever time.
I just think that will eventually degraded maybe Vs CT1 or similar.

I owe you an apology.

Bushboard Complete is indeed a MS polymer (as is CT1).

For worktops, you need a sanitary grade sealant, and CT1 may not be that. There is BT1 which is.

For worktops, you need a sanitary grade sealant, and CT1 may not be that. There is BT1 which is.

CT1 is food safe, it is also suitable for sanitary use. But... over the years, I have noticed that the white CT1 yellows slightly when used in dark bathrooms.

I haven't used BT1 yet. I get the impression that they key difference is that it is thinner and flows more like regular silicone. CT1 is much thicker than silicone.

Now that it has been in the house for a couple of weeks, and flat at its final location I am noticing a slight bow in them both.
Both made of 38mm maple staves.
One piece about 2 m long with a crown of about 1mm, the other is about 1.5 m long by 90cm with a 2mm dip. Those of you with practical experience of fitting these, how many screws should I use underneath to keep it as stable as possible? I am going to give them a bit longer to stabilise before I make a careful effort to adjust the packing pieces so that they line up as well as I can do them, but fully expect over the next few years they might still be affected by the weather/humidity and possible changes to the lay of the wood for other reasons.
They look like the grain is all pretty straight but want the best chance of them staying flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back