Joining underground uPVC pipe to old clay socketed pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to shift a gully a metre from where it is now and slightly reroute the underground drain pipes in my yard.

The old drain pipes are socketed clay pipes with rigid mortar joints. I intend to replace the pipes with uPVC and fit a new gully. I need to join the new uPVC section to the socketed end of the clay pipe that disappears under my house.

www.wavin.co.uk have good information on their OSMADRAIN range of underground drainage products, and they appear to have an adapter to suit the clay socketed pipe.

However Wavin's online help says the joint should be caulked with gaskin prior to mortaring the joint. I have heard that the old method used tarred gaskin (some kind of tarred rope?) and mortar but I don't know where to get hold of said "gaskin". Does anyone know of a sealant equivalent for this one off job?

Oh.. also am I actually officially allowed to work on the drains on my own property without gaining building control approval? I know the other work I am doing that neccesiates this change to the drains does not warrant building control approval in itself (a very small rear extension/porch area < 10cubic metres).

Sponsored Links
I am in stoke-on-trent and all drains here come under building control regardless of slight alteration or a lot of alteration to the drains even with in the boundary of your property as i have discovered from doing a small outbuilding on my brothers house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back