Joining water butt to shed downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi has anyone tried connecting a 50mm round down pipe on a shed or similar to a water butt? All the rain diverters are for larger pipes. Already have the guttering but haven't yet got the water butt. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes. At my previous house, I put the downpipe from the guttering into the top of the water butt through the lid, and then fitted an overflow pipe about 6" from the top of the water butt made up from some spare 32mm plastic kitchen waste pipe that discharged onto the ground. (It was a small shed and there weren't any drains at the bottom of the garden)

Ok I'll try cutting a hole in the butt I bought from wickes with the stand and tap. Only thing is I'm not sure what tool to use to cut this hole and I'll have to get an angled piece of pipe to bring it away from the shed. The butt is rounded and won't go right against the shed. If only they sold 50mm rain diverters!

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could use overflow pipe which would be easier to connect, the only question is would that allow a fast enough discharge. It depends how much water comes off the roof when it rains.

I fitted an old sink waste to the butt, made some packing washers and sealed it up with silicone. I think it worked, but I never went out in the rain to see if it dripped or not :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back