connecting a water butt 6m from downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My water butt connection to downpipe will be a challenge please help with tips and suggestions
the hose to the butt needs to, after connection to the downpipe , drop down 1 metre
it will then be under the decking (plenty of room under deck) it will then travel 5 or 6m before coming up thru the decking and rise up 1m and then into the butt ( at same level as it comes out of downpipe)
is this do able and if so anything to watch out for
Thanks jo

Sponsored Links
anything to watch out for
Thanks jo

Anything is doable but one thing to watch for , if I'm reading your post correctly , is that you will be creating what is in effect a huge "U" bend where water will always sit. Fine in the summer but there is always a chance that come the winter that water will freeze and burst the pipe.

ladylola";p="3077475 said:
anything to watch out for
Thanks jo

Anything is doable but one thing to watch for , if I'm reading your post correctly , is that you will be creating what is in effect a huge "U" bend where water will always sit.

Yes that's it exactly, I'm also conscious that a long run might be difficult to unblock if needbe I was thinking of maybe cconsidering it along' plumbing' lines ie put a tee piece here and there to either drain it or rod it what do you think
regards
jo

drain cock lowest point and a stopcock/disconnect from the down pipe after the butt is full or just before the first heavy frost??

Sponsored Links
We all forget to drain things though and messing about under the decking late a night because it said on the ten o'clock news that there will be a frost is the sort of thing that will probably be forgotten ;)
More work but it may be a better job to insulate or better still bury the pipe below the ground.
Why does the pipe need to raise a meter ? You can connect the butts at their bases thus leaving the minimum amount of pipe work exposed.

ladylola";p="3079031 said:
We all forget to drain things though and messing about under the decking...

Thanks yes I think the insulating is a good suggestion
basically I've only one downpipe at back of house from a small flat roof extension, theres no room on deck deck juts out 2.5m from patio doors on extension and the deck is 1m above garden level its on garden level in front of deck where i want to put the butt
hose needs to go under decking otherwise it would have to run across the patio door
on reflection it's 50cm down and up rather than 1m
regards

drain cock lowest point and a stopcock/disconnect from the down pipe after the butt is full or just before the first heavy frost??

hello thanks for this what sort of hose/pipe would I be best using to fit stopcock and drain cock
thanks
jo

just put a "Y" connecter a bit off hose and just out off sight at the edge off the decking to drain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back