Joining water inlet hoses together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any reason why I should not use a nipple to join two washing machine hoses to move my dishwasher (cold fill only) to where one will not reach. Commercial premises.

Sponsored Links
In the UK I'd use a single hose for commercial work, it's too much of a pain to do anything else, any joint is a maintenance point. However in Thailand I don't know.

I once worked for a firm selling machinery to Thailand, and when the service engineers went to solve problems, the factory needed to extend the electricity supply across the factory floor, being inventive the local engineers laid some copper pipes across the floor and connected the wires to either end. Quite interesting as the factory roof was not entirely waterproof.

Thanks for that Oilman, alhough I am presently writing from Thailand (anything goes here, including especially twisted together wiring wrapped in insulating tape, that is the standard way of wiring new houses and indeed blocks of condos.)
I am speaking of a UK situation. I would like to know if joining 2 hoses in that way is not merely inviting trouble, but maybe also contravening some regulation other than common sense. If two can be joined, why not 3, 5, 45, pretty soon we could have a street of hoses and nipples, this does not sound to me good practice, and knowing our mega legislative country, must be kind of illegal.
By the way do you know the difference between Unlawful and illegal?
Unlawful is against the law, illegal is a sick bird.

oilman said:
I once worked for a firm selling machinery to Thailand, and when the service engineers went to solve problems, the factory needed to extend the electricity supply across the factory floor, being inventive the local engineers laid some copper pipes across the floor and connected the wires to either end. Quite interesting as the factory roof was not entirely waterproof.

I encountered similar experiences while working in Cairo, there's a right way to do things, but if we can bodge and save £1egyptian (20p to you and me), go for the bodge!!! I used to get my "assistant" to switch my bench light on, I wouldn't touch it! :idea:
Compressed air ran through cheap garden hose etc..

Sponsored Links
Contravening regulations? Noboyd ever does that in the UK......not!!! I come across many breaches, commonest is leaving the filling loop connected on combies. It is supposed to be removed to protect your tap water which you are going to drink, from the class 4 water in the heating system. Even large boiler manufacturer's staff engineers leave them connected. And so do a large oil company's engineers they also fit remote fire valves under the stairs with the boiler (when it could easily have been put outside where the oil pipe is accessible and with no fire barrier covering the stairs.

However, back to the point, fewer joints = more reliability (even if there was a regulation, nobody would find out unless something went wrong) It would cost less to buy a single pipe than I would charge for the time to write this posting.

Oilman it's only class 3 water on a domestic installation. On a commercial/industrial it's class 4 so you can't use a filling loop anyway, you need an RPZ valve.

You can get washing machine hoses 2.5 metres long, and I know of no reg which comes in. Think of a garden hose! You can get a joiner from BES for about 8p, though they've introduced a carriage charge now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back