Joint Planning Permission: “Grampian” planning condition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my neighbour and I have both put in a joint planning application to build a kitchen extension with a 4m tall party wall. She wants to build asap and I will build when I have the money in 12-18 months time. The council sent an email today:

As you may be aware, a separate planning application for a similar proposal to yours has been submitted concurrently for the neighbouring property. In isolation it is the view of Officers that each proposal would have the potential to have an adverse impact on the adjacent property. However, if both extensions were to be constructed then it is likely that they would adequately mitigate the potential harm. As such, Officers would only be able to recommend the applications for approval if both applicants accept that each permission would be subject to a “Grampian” planning condition. The recommended condition would read as such:-

The extension hereby permitted shall not be constructed beyond a height of 2m above ground level until all foundations have been completed for the single-storey side extension to the neighbouring property.

Reason: To ensure that there is a reasonable prospect of both developments being completed in the interests of residential amenity.

In order to impose a Grampian condition, legal precedence sets out that Officers would need to be satisfied that there is a reasonable prospect that the “enabling” works being undertaken within the life-time of the permission (within 3 years of granting). As such, I would appreciate it if you could confirm whether your client is agreeable to the imposition of the recommended condition and, if they are, that it is their intention to complete the foundations of the extension within the life-time of the planning permission, if it is forthcoming.

Obviously it makes no sense for my neighbour to build a 2m high party wall as it's not tall enough to stand up inside and it's not what either of us want, however what is causing the problem is us building at different times.

If I've understood the email correctly, if I lay my foundations now then she can go ahead and build a 4m tall wall.

If I were to lay any foundations now, is it possible to do this without impacting my existing house?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Yes, that makes sense, you need to lay your foundations before the construction of your neighbours extension reaches above a height of 2m. At least it will be slightly cheaper to get your foundations done at the same time. Assuming there are no anomalies there should be no problem with you building your foundations. Of course we don't know if you have any drains that may need considering though.

Hi, thanks for this. Just to clarify: looking at the diagram in my first post, is it possible for me to build my new foundations without impacting my current house structure until I am ready?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back