Jointing dissimilar floor structures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Would be grateful of any advise that could be offered.
We have a croft house in the west highlands that has been in the family for some time. It was ravaged by fire a few years ago, and we are going through the process of getting it repaired and re-fitted out.

It is about 140 years old, solid rubble stone structure with two bedrooms upstairs. We are more or less returning it to its previous layout, with minor tweaks to bring it up to current regs - but dealing with traditional and makeshift building practices at the same time (slaps head in dispair)!

The building is on a sloping site, so the GF floor construction is formed from a combination of concrete slab and timber joist with vented solum (approx 800mm deep). We are not keen to fill up the solum with hard core and concrete over as we are concerned it might cause bunding and destabalise the existing rubble stone walls. We are also concerned that efflorescent salts will start rising in the stone work and cause future problems, my preference is always to let a building breathe.

My very long winded introduction leads me to my question - How do you detail the junction between a replacement suspended timber floor and existing concrete slab? Annoyingly it is not a clean break where one stops and the other begins (see attached sketch).

We can't raise the floor as the existing door heads are already low and in the 600mm thick rubble stone wall, so raising these is going to be a nightmare. We are struggling to achieve 2m head clearance on the stair due to the roof height which is dictated by existing gables.

Sorry for being so wordy! I have exhausted google and cannot find anything on this subject.

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Sponsored Links
sarahjchunter, hi

Firstly welcome to this Forum, there are loads of great answers in here, if you look at the bottom of the post you have made there should be generally, but not specific answers that have already been tendered.

You have uploaded a sketch but not a Photo, a Photo would be a great assist in trying to formulate an answer.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back