Jointing tape and compound question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I'm taping and jointing a new plasterboard wall to prepare it for wallpapering. It's going so so, but I'm having a problem when setting the tape in to the mud. Im covering the join in mud, putting the tape (which has been dampened and shaken off) into the mud and then running the filling knife over it to squeeze all the excess out and set it in. The problem that is occurring is that little pieces of paper keep appearing, almost as though I'm scratching the top layer of the tape off, this is then getting on the end of the knife and creating tram lines in the jointing compound. Am I letting the tape get too wet? Or maybe the compound too dry so that lumps are getting in to it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm in the middle of doing it now!

Sponsored Links
I would advise to to use mesh for the joints and use the paper for the corners. Now to answer you question, it's a case of practice really try different consistencies you will get there. Make sure your knife doesn't have any chips in it

Thanks for the reply Pigeon. Could you elaborate on the tape vs mesh? Will it make much difference if the wall is going to be papered? I have done a load more since the original post and think I've got a better technique now. Was putting too much mud on and the tape too wet. Meant I had to push a lot harder to get the excess out which in turn was damaging the tape. Well, that's how it seems anyway!

Thanks again.

Self adhesive and wouldn't have the problem with being to wet is the only advantage using mesh, but the paper is neater when doing the corners, if you have got the hang of it then stick to the paper. Just to add I'm not an expert but these are the pros and cons I have come across with these products

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back