Paper tape with plastering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone

Struggling to get an answer on this one as whenever I use paper tape as a key search term I get loads of tape and joint answers.

I’m trying to find out if I can use paper tape for plastering when using actual plaster and not the jointing compound method. If so, how do you put it on? I assume you do the first coat and then tape the joint (with paper tape that’s been soaked in water for a bit) before doing the second coat?

Reason I ask is I’ve got a few touch up jobs that are just too big for tape and joint and I’ve started getting a bit of practise with the plastering method so want to continue that. Plus I hear paper tape is slightly better at crack prevention.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, I don't have a definitive answer.
But to me as a DIY plasterer, it doesn't make much sense to use paper tape.
I'm constantly fighting against time when plastering; to use up the plaster before it goes off, to clean up and mix up new before the next coat.
I wouldn't want to spend extra time faffing about, embedding a layer of tape.
I've seen some people embed tape in joint compound, days before a skim - but that seems to just add an extra step; using self-adhesive scrim tape is so easy! :)

I'm sorry, I don't have a definitive answer.
But to me as a DIY plasterer, it doesn't make much sense to use paper tape.
I'm constantly fighting against time when plastering; to use up the plaster before it goes off, to clean up and mix up new before the next coat.
I wouldn't want to spend extra time faffing about, embedding a layer of tape.
I've seen some people embed tape in joint compound, days before a skim - but that seems to just add an extra step; using self-adhesive scrim tape is so easy! :)
Yeah it’s a fair point. My only reluctance is that I’ve got loads of cracks running along seams where previous trades have used scrim tape. I hear paper tape is better because the cracks happen beneath it and so you don’t see them when there is plaster on top.

Sponsored Links
Just reading back they prob have put scrim tape on the plastering directly
On it without doing prep work under it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back