scrim tape or paper jointing tape

Sponsored Links
I guess the picture is misleading. No, where I'm taking the picture is outside the room, it's a small single storey building. I've deliberately left that side for now so I have easy access. You can just see some 4x2 stud either side. The access door will be there. And yeah, it is a bigger job than I realised. But I'm in now, no going back.... it's my mission. I figure most of the heavy work is done now. Well, sort of.

Just a comment if I may. you've a lot of joints there, you may just be better off getting the whole lot skimmed.
Jointing compound is expensive compared to plaster, but of course there is the labour element if you can't skim yourself and whilst, as Steve says there is a lot of work there, I would say that jointing is more within the realms of a DIYer, if you can't skim, its basically a case of filling and sanding and if it's not perfect filling and sanding again.
There are some good guides I think on the Lafarge site

Sponsored Links
I meant access as in tower you doing it all off step ladders?
Ahh, I get ya now :) Yeah, afraid so. It's all off those ladders. Just me and a little 'T' bar to help. Or hinder as it keeps getting in the way. Risky stuff I know, but couldn't really find anything out there for such a small space that went high enough at a reasonable price.

Just a comment if I may. you've a lot of joints there, you may just be better off getting the whole lot skimmed.
Jointing compound is expensive compared to plaster, but of course there is the labour element if you can't skim yourself and whilst, as Steve says there is a lot of work there, I would say that jointing is more within the realms of a DIYer, if you can't skim, its basically a case of filling and sanding and if it's not perfect filling and sanding again.
There are some good guides I think on the Lafarge site

Fair point chappers. It's all about keeping costs down, and here in the North East of Scotland there is a real shortage of skills, so little competition allowing them to charge stupid money. As a consequence I decided to do as much as I could on my own. So far I've built a 12ft long, 3ft high granite wall, laid 20ft of path with gravel to either side, spread 20 ton of gravel with spade and wheelbarrow. Dug out a soak away and accompanying drainage with 2 ton mini digger (great fun!). Oh, the list is endless really. The downside is a badly sprained ankle, back injury, nasty cut caused by grinding wheel shattering, and elbow surgery.

Truth is, I absolutely love it. I've never been so happy. I have the time, and I'm eager to learn. Never too old for new skills - again, largely down to this place :)

Sounds good crack on and it is hugely satisfying knowing that all that you have achieved has been by your own fair hand, and you always need a few battle scars to prove the effort.
Maybe consider hiring something in for the ceilings.
There is a bit of a knack to taping and jointing, but you will soon get the hang of it as you go along. I would suggest working on a small area to completion, until you get the hang of what is involved and then you can work in stages over the whole remaining area, understanding the standard each stage has to be at before moving on to the next.
Good luck

Thanks chappers. I was thinking the same thing about practicing. I'll set up a test section and keep doing it till I get the hang of it. I may also check out some kind of platform I can hire as well. Good idea. Its one thing struggling with plasterboard, and another thing entirely when precision is needed!

Just a quick question about Gyproc jointing compound; Can I use it for all applications, or is it best to get Promix Lite for the 2nd and third coats? I don't like the sound of getting a big tub of the Lite and just using a bit in the time I have (I presume once opened, it needs to be used up?). I would use the Easi-Fill, but I believe it has quite a short working life.

Thanks.

Best way to tape is use joint filler then joint cement but because you have a mixture of joints you will be best off with easifill because you have a lot of butt joints that wont need filling, thats my opinion anyway and you def need better access than the step ladders or you won't be able to do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back