skrim tape and joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am boarding out my bathroom with a combination of green (mr) and standard 12.5mm board, both are tapered edge, my question is when I joint tape the joins do I need to use some finish plaster in with the joint tape or leave it just with tape as I will be tiling straight to the board afterwards?
The boards are dot and dabbed with additional mechanical fixings should I tape over the screw heads as well?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
After taping, I would fill joint out, as you are tiling the area, what product you use would be up to you. Traditionally easifill/joint compounds are used as this can be applied and sanded when dry. But finishing plaster could be used or even a screed of tile adhesive.

thanks for the quick reply,
So just to clarify as I am tiling direct to the board what type of mix I use to fill the tapered edge scrim doesn't matter too much as long as it's done.
cheers

I would tape the joints then bring them level with the tile adhesive that you are tiling with..Then when its all dry tile over the lot,,, ;)

Sponsored Links
If you use a gypsum based solution and you're using a cementitious tile addy, bear in mind you should prime the gypsum first with a suitable primer.

thanks for the quick reply,
So just to clarify as I am tiling direct to the board what type of mix I use to fill the tapered edge scrim doesn't matter too much as long as it's done.
cheers

That is correct, providing is a product suitable for purpose (plaster finish, joint compound, tile adhesive even board adhesive), just bring the joint to level,
and as previous post would be wise to prime that area prior to tiling.

thanks fellas, I should have some drywall adhesive left so may use that or some multi finish as I also have some of that too... as for the primer for the scrimmed joints pva or sbr?

Just use tile adhesive and you wont have to bother with sealers and stuff..Its ready for tiling straight over.... ;)

Just use tile adhesive and you wont have to bother with sealers and stuff..Its ready for tiling straight over.... ;)
Even the joints where I will use the tanking kit?
I only meant the joints on the plasterboards you are tiling over. You should have the rubberised tape in the tanking kit that you use with the tanking solution if you are tanking an area that is going to have water on it ,ie. a shower area ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back