scrim tape or paper jointing tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I may be in for a rough ride ahead as I will be attempting some plaster jointing soon on my man cave. I've completed putting up the 12.5mm board and whilst looking at various YouTube videos, there is a mix of people using paper tape, and that reinforced scrim tape for the joins. Can anyone advice which is easier for the novice? I presume scrim tape is stronger?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
are you plastering the whole lot or just taping and filling the joints

Sorry I should have been more clear. I will be just filling the joints. I guess I just want to know the merits of the two types of joint material.

use either scrim tape can be just stuck on, where as paper tape needs to be bedded in jointing compound

Sponsored Links
I do a bit of jointing now and then when asked by a friend whose a jointer by trade they use paper on angles and mesh on the straights

Yeah Steve, I've read that a few times via a search here so I think ill do that. One thing though, due to the nature of the room (and some bad planning by myself), I have a mixture of tapered and butt joins. Can I still use either on both?

Whoops, butt joints are normally for plastering and using scrim tape, and tapered joints for paper and then filling the joints. How big's the man cave. You can fill the tapered joints level, and then get a plasterer in.

Whoops, butt joints are normally for plastering and using scrim tape, and tapered joints for paper and then filling the joints. How big's the man cave. You can fill the tapered joints level, and then get a plasterer in.
i plastered for a partition/ boarding company for years and lots of others in between they would mostly all put tapered boards up no need to fill tapered edges before skimming

Last edited:
Yeah Steve, I've read that a few times via a search here so I think ill do that. One thing though, due to the nature of the room (and some bad planning by myself), I have a mixture of tapered and butt joins. Can I still use either on both?
you can get away with the odd butt joint with out it being noticable but if you have loads its best to get a spread in like doggit said with tapered joints you can get away with a couple of mm difference between boards but with butt joints they have to be spot on

We only use tapered edged boards. I always fill the tapers in with scrim tape and plaster them flush, and if I dont skim them the same day I will wet them or unibond them (depending on how long it is before I get to skim the walls).

Thanks for all your helpful thoughts. My intention was to make life as easy as possible for this project, but the nature of the building I had to work with has made it anything but. The room I have to work with is an old Scottish granite Steading (barn). Being made from granite blocks, everything is uneven. Anyhow, the stud walls are all nice and squared off a treat, but the problem comes when it comes to the apex roof. In my wisdom I thought I would leave exposed the wooden beams, but this means I have three 'panels' of roofing plaster about 1mtr wide on each side of my roof running at about 45 deg. Hard enough for a novice, but add to that is that each of the sections is completely out. So I've managed to get about a third of the plastering done so far, and fun isn't the word I would use. Ive tapered edged as much as possible, but what with working on my own with 12.5mm board over my head and at heights, it's a minor miracle there aren't more gaps I need to fill, let alone a mixture of butt and tapered joins!

One good thing though, it's rustic. Flawless plaster just wouldn't be quite right. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

I really should upload a pic if anyone's interested. It's certainly been a challenge.

you just need to fade the joint out a another scoop wider, if taping and jointing a butt joint

OK, here you go. One pic just as I was starting the floor, and the next pic I took this afternoon. I'm sure you'll take one look and think what a mess I'm making. We bought this house just over 12 months ago which needed so much work. During that time I'm learned on the foot. I've never taken on anything more than basic DIY in the past, and never anything like this. Thank god for youtube and this forum. This forum in particular has proved invaluable via search.

I guess I really should have started this over in the projects forum, and I suppose I still can as there are so many decisions yet to be made. Having a dedicated thread saves asking questions I can't find answers to via search. My big mistake during this has been making detailed decisions as I go. A recipe for disaster that has caught me out a couple of times. I know the plan, just not all the finer details.

barn before.jpg barn during.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back