Preferred method for new plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a stud wall I'm building, abutting a finished plastered wall, would the best method be to fill screws/joints etc then go over with emulsion then a coat or 2 of paint? Or would it be best to plaster the new wall, use angle beads/stop beads etc?

I haven't plastered before so don't really want to spend so much time trying to perfect something that takes a while to master.

Also, where the new wall will meet the finished wall, would I need to take off some of the plaster from finished wall so that I can scrim tape the joint then fill to get a clean edge that won't crack?

My thought is to plasterboard, tape edges/joints with paper tape & aluminium corner tape, fill joints and screw holes, emulsion, paint.
Is that a good way of going about it?

Thanks for your insights

Sponsored Links
Each to their own on this, but assuming that you've made a solid job of the stud wall, my advice would be to get a good plasterer in to skim it. They will scrim the joints and use bonding where necessary.
Plaster gives you a far more durable finish!

DIYer
Professional skim is the best option.

I have used your suggested option to patch in a bricked up door and other jobs.
Paper tape and powdered easifill. Pretty much invisible join.
Also have a look at fibafuse tape. Self adhesive mesh tape for jointing.
Aluminium corner tape works well.

Cost me about £30 for stainless pan, 6inch and 10inch knives. Stanley and Ox.

Easifill joints will need a good primer like Zinsser 123 or will require multi coats of emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back