Plasterboarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im considering plasterboarding my bedroom, the plaster is pretty much shot and its the old lath and plaster type.

Im just wondering if it would be fairly cheap doing it myself? Ive never boarded before but im presuming that i would take the current plaster work back to the joists on the ceiling and the studs on the stud work, Im also presuming that i take it back to bare brick on retaining walls and ouside walls.

If this is correct what would i do next? Ceiling or walls?

What boards should i use?

When i cut the boards, how and do the cuts go to the outside?

dot and dab walls with what? Screw into joists/stud, how often and which screws?

How do you stagger joints?

Tape the joints with skrim tape? and fill with what?

Would a complete novice be able to get a better finish by skimming the plasterboard than is achieved by the plasterboard itself?

Cheers for all responses

Andy

Sponsored Links
You’ve asked loads of questions in one go here which is almost certainly why there’s been no response from the regulars on here; including me! Rather than attempt a lengthy reply, can I suggest a trawl through the archive posts will answer most of your questions. Try helping yourself a little first but by all means come back with specific questions if you’re not sure & you will get a much better response.

All I would add is if you don't plaster, it will never look as good or be as durable & if you’re a novice, attempting to plaster such a job as your 1st project is probably overly optimistic.

Thanks Richard, I know I asked a lot of questions, Ive read a number of posts which is why I had a kind of idea of what order to do things in and Materials to use, Just needed some further pointers which I couldnt find.

Will removing the current plaster and laths and blown plaster from the walls and replacing them with plasterboard myself then allowing a "pro" to skim the whole room only make it alot cheaper?

Would you expect me to tape and fill joints, screw holes before you skimmed?

Sponsored Links
Will removing the current plaster and laths and blown plaster from the walls and replacing them with plasterboard myself then allowing a "pro" to skim the whole room only make it a lot cheaper?
Whatever work you can do yourself prior to plastering will make the job cheaper as long as it’s done properly; if your not entirely confident about what your doing, I would advise you speak to your plasterer beforehand.
Would you expect me to tape and fill joints, screw holes before you skimmed?
This will help but won’t make a great deal of difference as it doesn’t take long for a plasterer to do this preparation prior to skimming. Again, I would always advise you speak to your plasterer before hand as everyone has their own preferences & many would rather do their own final prep. work so they keep everything under their control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back