Joist hangers

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking for some joist hangers for a 4 x 2 wooden framed floor. Joist hangers will be used either side fixed to battens and the floor will be packed centrally for support. I can't seem to find joist hangers to suit.

Any help/links appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you explain what you mean by hangers will be used either side and the rest, or better still provide a sketch as it's a little difficult to understand yor description, sorry...pinenot :)

It's to raise a garage floor level with the existing house floor.

I will be fixing 4x2 to both sides of the garage on the walls. Joists will fix between these. I need joist hangers to connect the joists to wood fixed to the wall.

Hope this helps

Ah! well actually you don't necessarily require them. The trimmers (4" x 2" fixed to the walls) when fixed parallel to each other, allow you to fix the joists by skew nailing them into the trimmers direct. The way to do this is to setup a string line down one side and ind the narrowest point, repeat this on the other side. Now you need to fix the trimmers, packed out from the walls at their ends only. Make sure both opposing ends each sides are the same distance and set a string line up each side. Now all that's required is to fix each trimmer dead straight, this will ensure each of them is parallel to each other, measure and cut all the joists (tight size) mark the trimmers off to position joists and skew nail them in, no hangers, less cost, job done...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
I think I understand what you are suggesting....

Fix both stringers to opposing walls level with each other, same distance between them at both ends (thus is where the packing maybe required).

Then insert joists and fix to stringers using nails at angles?

Is this right?

Also, what should I use to fix the stringer to the brick walls, big screws, coach bolts, Rawl bolts?

I will be laying a Dpm sheet first so I will pack the joists from existing concrete floor with wood above the dpm for extra strength.

Thanks for that,

The stringers and joists will sit slightly above floor level (packed out). Span between stringers is about 3.8m. Can't use 6x2s as not enough depth to existing house floor.

existing floor is slopping (approx 4 inch over total length of about 7m).

You can always put shims under the 4 x 2 joists to make them firm...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back