Joist repair -has installer done it correct.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new bathroom installed last year. The joists had wet rot so the installer made a 'repair'

Been under the floor today to see if I could route a cable under the bathroom to repair the CH they borked.

They've sawn off the rotten bit overlapped timber the same size and screwed it into the side.

As far as i am concerned such a joint should be supported? Propped up level with blocks laid down the hard ground?

Sponsored Links
usual way is dogs and bolts overlapping between 2 and 3 ft dependant with a couple off bolts per foot staggerd in the hight

if i was screwing it would be 3 screws in the height every 4to6"

Should it be supported with blocks, given that the chip floor is then going to be tiled?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Ground floor. Void is about 0.5m. Three of three joists cut back due to wood rot.

The new timber should be treated, bolted, ends wrapped in DPM and should sit on the wall plate. And bricked back in..

Are they just butted up to the wall?

Hope this works.
No DPM
No rot treatment.

Not really access under the floor now, so photo was a bit tricky to take as I had to put hand through a found wall.

url]
[/img]

A pic of the other end of the joists would have been good but appreciate it's difficult.
If i were to use srews to fix joists like this i would only use them if it was 1 rotten joist, maybe 2 or 3 if they were well spaced out. But 3 together ? requires bolts!!
There appears to be enough overhang of the original joists to fix too and in answer to your question about support underneath,,, is, you shouldn't need any if bolts are used.

By the way... WTF is that thing in top left corner??? looks like giant demonic bat trying to escape!!!

Theis repair is called a "sister joist".

Ideally, they should extend from end to end a and rest on the support that the original joist sets on.

If the original joist is on a hangar, they should install hangars on eah end and space the new joist, "1 joist away" so they have room to screw the hangars in place. They can then slide another sister joist between the 2 to fill in the space.

If this is bearing weight, I'd do both sides.

Thanks,
I think they used screws, maybe coach screws, I can't see.

It just doesn't seem very solid, particularly as it is a tiled floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back