Joist sistering without coach bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to attach timber to the side of my existing joists to make them wider. My existing joist width is ~80mm and I want to double this with to approx 160mm. The new structure will need to support a heavy Victorian lath/plaster stud partition. The partition runs parallel to my joists.

Q: Can I use materials other than coach bolts to do this "joist sistering". My preference is to use some beefy M10 coach screws, 150mm long, screwed into the centre line of the existing joist at 300mm intervals.

Any suggestions welcome. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Alternate the head and point sides, put them at staggered 1/3 depth (rather than mid depth) at nominal 600 centres and make sure the new joist sits on the end bearings as per the existing joist.

Thank you for your guidance.

600 centres + staggered 1/3rd instead of centre line = can & will do.

Alternating point and head sides is a problem for me.

The stud partition hanging above the joist gap is so wide that it acts as a "mini- ceiling" above the joists. I don't have access to the "inside of the joists". I can only practicably work from the outside of the joists. This was my reason for avoiding coach bolts. It's hard to describe without a photo but I've lost my digi camera.

Summary : Apart from perhaps one screw at the accessible end , I cannot alternate. I can only screw in the coach screws from one joist side

No problem - as long as the new joist has a bearing at either end, then the connection detail is only a nominal one and you can do from one side. You could also just nail 'em together in that instance, if you wanted: it's a connection only to get them to give some semblance of working together, that's all.

Sponsored Links
Got it.

I'm planning on using big coach screws, say M16 x 200mm

But these big screws might split the joist as I wrench them in.

As a precaution, should I drill 10mm pilot holes first to take the M16 screws ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back