joist size for 4.6 meter flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Hope someone can help on this. I am in the design process of Building a workshop at the end of garden. Due to the permitted allowance I can only go 2.5 meter high, so internal headroom after roof and floor is tight.
My building width is 4.6 MTR wide and shall be looking at a grp roof to Finnish. For the roof joists can someone advice on the size, I was hoping to use 200x50 at 400 centres. ( hope I've worded that correctly ) . If I Need wider such as 220 or 250 , would 200 But narower centres be OK ?
Also I would like the slope to be little as possible to gain all headroom, so was thinking of a 100 mm drop at the run off side. Would this be OK ? And regarding the firing strips, could I not just run a circular saw down the sides of joists ?
Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
That's a slope of 1:45 which should be okay. What surface are you planning? I'd say add some more slope if it's anything that could sag like corrugated sheeting material.

Sponsored Links
The roof will be topped with 18mm OSB with GRP glass fibre build . I thought of tin box but costs got out of hand with all trimming and the sag was a consideration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back