Joist Span Tables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just looking over the Trada span tables for C16 and I have worked out that for my joists I could run with 38x220. 38mm seems a little on the slim side, I know its the depth that makes up the strength but just wanted to see if anyone has any advice along the line of 'Oh yeah, no one ever uses 38 on those tables, we go for XX minimum' type of thing.

The span is 4.45m, I am using Table 6 and am assuming dead load of no more than 0.25kN as the joists are being hung at no more than 400mm centres with joist hangers to wooden lengths running on the internal half of the piers (i.e. there will no dead load on the joists except the floor covering itself).

This floor will make up the storage space in a garage roof area, but I would like it strong enough to walk about in without any fear of misshaps, it wont be for 'domestic' use (i.e., no bed, wardrobe, fridge etc).

At the end of the day, the table says 38x220 but its worth checking.

Many thanks.
C
PS Is treated wood generally normally used or untreated? I'm not exoecting it to be a damp area or anything.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back