"juddery clunk" after toilet flush. Can someone pl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently we've been hearing a juddering clunk when the toilet cistern has finished filling. Toilet is a Geberit UP200 and only 1 year old. It also happens when you turn the cold water tap off suddenly in the kitchen (just below bathroom) but to a lesser degree. I guess this is water hammer.

What the plumber has done so far..........
Re-packed the stopcock under the sink
Replaced a rubber washer from the valve in the cold water tank
Not returned my last 5 calls!

Really don't know what to do to find the cause. Can this be caused by an airlock?

It seemed to start just after the washing machine man was doing work in the kitchen beside stopcock. This of course may be just a coincidence. We have an outside tap (old) connected to the pipework just beside the stopcock. Everything seems to be working OK and we haven't changed or added anything in the house since last year. Central heating guy may have turned the water off to do some work 3 or 4 months ago but not 100% sure of this.

Is there anything I can do other than keep trying to get my plumber back. It wakes the whole house when someone flushes at night even though it is just one sudden "clonk". If it could be an airlock can someone please tell me (speak slowly!) how to eliminate this.

Thanks for any advice/help

Regards
Amelia

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

Was the rubber washer, that the plumber replaced, part of that mechanism? Do you mean the whole ball float? The water tank takes a long time to finish filling- trickles for ages. I don't know much about plumbing as you can tell. Could I do this myself?

Plumber said he put an extra clip on pipe in case it was loose.

Thanks for your time & patience.
Amelia

it easy job
turn water off
turn on tap kitchen prefably
flush toilet remove rest water with spounge
turn on bathroom tap
remove old float pair grips are good for this
replace and change 15mm fiber washer
and make sure joints are tight
turn water back on and turn kitchen tap off
check joints
turn off bath tap
recheck joints

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back