Junction box choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wanted to ask the forum about junction boxes for extending wiring.

We have an electrician doinging some work for us at the moment and he's joined two bathroom radiator heater wires by using a strip and wrapping a load of insulation tape around.

Is this good practice? I would have thought a sealed junction box would be the approved way join two wires.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
That is NOT the correct way to do it. Did he park his horse outside your door?

A proper junction box is required BUT the box must be accessible.

If the joint cannot be accessed then it must be done by a 'permanent' method. Regs state soldering or crimping.

Did he park his horse outside your door?

Heh. Cheers Taylor.

Had a chat with him this morning, the junction strip is temporary, for testing the connection, he's soldering it today and due to leave it accessible until the bonding goes on. Phew.

he's soldering it today and due to leave it accessible until the bonding goes on. Phew.

Post up a picture, it's a rare way of doing a join and does require more skill than a simple crimp, sleeve, amal tape job.

A helpful way is to tie a fine wire round the co-joing cores, then the solder keys to the fine wire and the cores, otherwise it can be a sod to solder well.

Sponsored Links
I misheard what my electrician was saying. He's a actually using a JB that's accessible under the floor boards.

Cheers for replies.

it can be a s** to solder well.
I don't think whoever wrote the regs imagined that sparks would be soldering bits of mains wiring together.

I think you should read the regulations again.

So your saying that you believe the regs don't allow a permenant join in solder ?

(I've never done it, I have my trusty crimps which I use rarely since the whole idea of new wiring for me tends to go with the one run- no joins, method).

I don't like cryptic critic- so spill the beans and point me the reg that says no- or is it just a personal opinion ?

I misheard what my electrician was saying. He's a actually using a JB that's accessible under the floor boards.

Cheers for replies.

So what happens when the tiles cover the floor ?

Here's hoping the BCO doesn't ask that question.

...but seriously ;) at least as long as we're living here there's no plans to tile that part of the house.

it can be a s** to solder well.
I don't think whoever wrote the regs imagined that sparks would be soldering bits of mains wiring together.

I think you should read the regulations again.

So your saying that you believe the regs don't allow a permenant join in solder ?

(I've never done it, I have my trusty crimps which I use rarely since the whole idea of new wiring for me tends to go with the one run- no joins, method).

I don't like cryptic critic- so spill the beans and point me the reg that says no- or is it just a personal opinion ?

:D Actually I was replying to the post I replied to. I'm all in favour of a good soldered joint - as are the regs.

Sorry, paste from my post and I sort of imagined the question was directed to me- I see it's meant for the lad from Zaire.

My bad :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back